Saturday 27 April 2013

Bharathi Balan


Meet Personalities-1:Bharathi Balan

Bharathi Balan with his newly published book in hand
The language Tamil is the essence of the State and the City we live in .Beyond  doubt, it is the most widely spoken language of the neighbourhood , which houses few scholars also.

Bharathi Balan 47, a Tamil author, novelist and social activist, is one good example. As Professor and Head of the Department of Tamil and Cultural Studies at Tamilnadu Open University, Bharathi is a resident of 29th Cross Street in Besant Nagar.

'I had my first novel published in 1987 when I was 20. Ever since, I have used books as medium to transmit my thoughts and ideas to the general public', says Bharathi

He claims to have authored 7 short story collections , 4 novels, 40 educational books and a consolidated book collection. 'I have written about social themes mainly based on village people in Tamilnadu ,  whom I met in my lot of travels', he adds.

Bharathi has been recognized for his talent as well.'I have been honoured with 'Ilakkiya Sinthanai 'award 4 times., the Tirupur Tamil sangam award twice and my books are being used by various varsities including Madurai Kamaraj University, Alagappa University,Kerala University and Loyola College college among others ', he adds. Bharathi Balan was also a journalist and he had also worked for the Central Government as a researcher before his present job.

Bharathi's family is also highly scholastic.'My wife is an assistant professor with a doctorate in Commerce while my children who are school children with a career wish in the field of scholastics.

Bharathi Balan can be contacted online by e-mail at bharathibalan@yahoo.co.in. His mobile number is 9444252674

Thanks to 
B.Adarsh for writeup 
A.R.Jayakumar for photo
and Adyar Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment